http://daptivate.com/archive/tags/telligent/default.aspx If you’re not familiar with what “GamerGate” entails, check out Chris T. Rex’s (@CrankyTRex) great post “Here’s #GamerGate in 5 Easy Bites“. Last night in Washington, DC, about three hundred (my estimate) #GamerGate supporters got together for camraderie and adult beverages at a great establishment called Local 16. Continue reading #GGinDC: the Soft-SWATting of #GamerGate
Many people have noticed the #GamerGate hashtag floating around but still don’t know what it’s all about, so I’m going to try and distill it down to the very basics.
check that 1. What is #GamerGate?
#GamerGate is the hashtag around which video game consumers have rallied to:
- Demand an end to unethical behavior, corruption, and overt politicization in the video game industry, particularly among video game journalists
- Boycott outlets that have attacked gamers with accusations of misogyny and sexism in response to the above demand
- Share research on and evidence of corruption in the industry
- Support websites/causes that support gamers and inclusivity in the industry
- Support each other against accusations of misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc.
While the tag was coined by Adam Baldwin to reflect the Watergate scandal, it has since become synonymous with a gaming consumer revolt, as “supporters” of #GamerGate see themselves as a barrier to the corruption in the industry. It even has an unofficial mascot called Vivian James. Continue reading Here’s #GamerGate In 5 Easy Bites