Private Harold H. Moon, Jr., USA (October 21, 1944) Harold Herman Moon, Jr. was born on March 15, 1921 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He was drafted into the United States Army on August 5, 1942 at age 21 and assigned to Company G, 2nd Battalion, 34th Infantry Regiment of the 24th Infantry Division after training.

purchase priligy Moon was known as a troublemaker and spent time under arrest. His disciplinary problems almost got in the way of him landing with his unit on the Philippine island of Leyte in October 1944. It is well that they did not.

On the second day of fighting ashore on Leyte – seventy years ago today, October 21, 1944 – Moon stood alone against waves of Japanese counter-attacks with just his Thompson sub-machinegun, grenades, and his own courage as weapons as one-by-one, his comrades became casualties. He gave his life, but not before inflicting casualties on the enemy at a ratio of no less than 200-to-1. His posthumous Medal of Honor was awarded about 13 months later.

From Medal of Honor Citations for World War II (M-S):

Medal of Honor ribbon (foreground); World War II Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon (background)
Medal of Honor ribbon (foreground); World War II Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon (background)
Photo: Military Times’ Hall of Valor


Rank and organization: Private, U.S. Army, Company G, 34th Infantry, 24th Infantry Division. Place and date: Pawig, Leyte, Philippine Islands, 21 October 1944. Entered service at: Gardena, Calif. G.O. No.: 104, 15 November 1945.

Citation: He fought with conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity when powerful Japanese counter-blows were being struck in a desperate effort to annihilate a newly won beachhead. In a forward position, armed with a sub-machinegun, he met the brunt of a strong, well-supported night attack which quickly enveloped his platoon’s flanks. Many men in nearby positions were killed or injured, and Pvt. Moon was wounded as his foxhole became the immediate object of a concentration of mortar and machine gun fire. Nevertheless, he maintained his stand, poured deadly fire into the enemy, daringly exposed himself to hostile fire time after time to exhort and inspire what American troops were left in the immediate area. A Japanese officer, covered by machinegun fire and hidden by an embankment, attempted to knock out his position with grenades, but Pvt. Moon, after protracted and skillful maneuvering, killed him. When the enemy advanced a light machinegun to within 20 yards of the shattered perimeter and fired with telling effects on the remnants of the platoon, he stood up to locate the gun and remained exposed while calling back range corrections to friendly mortars which knocked out the weapon. A little later he killed 2 Japanese as they charged an aid man. By dawn his position, the focal point of the attack for more than 4 hours, was virtually surrounded. In a fanatical effort to reduce it and kill its defender, an entire platoon charged with fixed bayonets. Firing from a sitting position, Pvt. Moon calmly emptied his magazine into the advancing horde, killing 18 and repulsing the attack. In a final display of bravery, he stood up to throw a grenade at a machinegun which had opened fire on the right flank. He was hit and instantly killed, falling in the position from which he had not been driven by the fiercest enemy action. Nearly 200 dead Japanese were found within 100 yards of his foxhole. The continued tenacity, combat sagacity, and magnificent heroism with which Pvt. Moon fought on against overwhelming odds contributed in a large measure to breaking up a powerful enemy threat and did much to insure our initial successes during a most important operation.

Moon’s remains were repatriated to the United States and laid to rest in the Sunset Memorial Park in Albuquerque.

2nd Battalion, 34th Infantry and the 24th Infantry Division are presently inactive.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.